artur pastor - algarve, portugal (1950s)
Showing posts tagged with “architecture”
Tower of Silence, by Steven Holl, 1992, Manchester, WA, United States.
National Assembly Building of Bangladesh, by Louis Kahn, 1982, in Bangladesh, India.
Vernecular architecture, in Portugal.
Bridge Rein da Nalps, by engineer Emil Schubiger, photo by Jürg Conzett, 1957.
Valerio Olgiati - The yellow house, Flims 2000. The conversion of a historic house owned by the architect’s father to a cultural center involved stripping the structure to it’s bare bones. The original plaster siding was removed and ground down, exposing the shell of stone walls and cross bracing timber. The interior was gutted, and retrofitted with a new structural system that highlights the idiosyncrasies of the historic house, while accommodating the contemporary function. Windows are recessed back into the facade with new concrete frames, visually exploiting the depth of the walls to create a more cavernous facade. From the interior, the effect is opposite, drawing the landscape into the exhibition spaces. The new building, painted all while, texturally relates with the jagged mountains that dominate the town, but sits in sharp contrast to their dark tones. Previously, inspiration for Olgiati’s work.
Tsunami Memorial Site, by Productora, 2006, in Oslo, Norway.